Sunday 16 November 2014

Daggerboard blues

Went and checked the boat a few days ago. She was dry as a bone, dock lines and bungees showing no wear despite recent strong winds. I didn't stay long, so didn't take the boom tent off, just lifted the corner to get in. I enjoy being inside with the setting sun making things bright:
 
I noticed, last time I used the daggerboards, that after I took them out, one of them wept for awhile, water streaming out from under the layer of glass cloth.

So I took it to John's and ground off the glass cloth. I found that much of it was no longer fastened to the plywood.
My key just dove in. Time to build another daggerboard!

John sold me some ¾" ply. It had a bit of a wow in it, so I just cut it out rough to try it before going any farther, in case the wow would jam it.
I took it to the boat to test it out and found that it sticks in the slot. I'm not sure if it's because of the thickness or the wow. So my plan is to get some ⅝" ply and give it a good layer of glass each side. This will make it strong enough, yet still thin enough to not stick in the slot. I'll just make one for now, to see how it goes. If it goes well, I'll do the other, too. I'd like to round the bottom, get rid of those corners.

Meanwhile, no sailing happening!




No comments:

Post a Comment