Friday 19 December 2014

Boards glassed

First, a photo of Victoria Harbour entrance, late afternoon, late fall, from the shore of Lime Bay near Spinnakers (lat 48.428964, long 123.384120).
4:38 pm, December 9, sun is setting into the Olympic Mountains across Juan de Fuca Strait from Victoria. Harbour control tower is the button on top of the square building at the far left (Victoria Harbour is an aerodrome). To the immediate right of that is a Coast Guard vessel.

Last week I saw a nice cruising rowboat, so I took photos of it:
The owner/designer/builder happened by before I left, so I talked with him a bit. He calls it the Westshore-18. Sliding seat, carbon fibre oars, large fore hatch. He said he built it near Sidney and recently moved, and it's not in production, but should be soon. We discussed changing out the channels that the sliding seat runs in for some sort of inverted form, so they don't collect debris. I hope he does produce it, because it looks great to me.

I've recuperated now from organizing a Christmas dinner for 50 residents and their guests where I live.

So I took my boards back to John's and rounded over the edges. The router with a round-over bit didn't do what I wanted, so I used the grinder...
...and lots of 40-grit sandpaper (hence the glove)...
...and a round file to get into the notch.

Then the boards were saturated both sides with polyester resin and left to dry. They're now glassed on both sides with 6-oz cloth and polyester resin:
I think the notch will get some extra glass mat. But first I plan to test them on the boat to see how they fit. They'll get a final gel coat to finish them off.

(Update 27 Dec: Corrected Haro Strait to Juan de Fuca Strait in 2nd para.)




2 comments:

  1. Hi Eric, just got caught up on your blog - lots of fun reading! Big kudos for all the work! I noticed on the statistics page that you appear to have a follower in Poland but none in Germany (namely me). Google is a little confused maybe? Anyway, have fun sailing!
    Best, Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike. Glad you enjoyed it! Maybe your English accent is tricking Google into thinking you're from elsewhere? hahaha! Let's see ... Germany and Poland share a border ... maybe that's where your electronic highway goes?

    ReplyDelete