Monday 17 December 2018

Mast shaped

Boring photos, but for the record, the mast is shaped.
Heel.

It ended up curved in two directions. I cut the curve out by trimming the mast on the band saw, first drawing the outlines using string for making straight lines from the top to a point 2' above the heel. I brought my 5' steel rule against the string and made a pencil line displacing the string.

Tip.

The top ended up being only 1" square as a result of cutting the curves out, rather than 1½" as called for. I'm confident that 1" square will be fine, since there's so much fir in the mix. It's good fir with no knots, heavy and strong. The mast is 11' 10" long, 2" square at the base up to 24", then tapers to 1" square at the top.

I decided long ago that my mast would have a square section with rounded corners, and that's what I did. I don't see a reason to take any more wood away, compromising strength. At this size and with a non-racing boat, it doesn't matter if the mast is not foil shaped. It doesn't even need to be straight, since the sail doesn't end at it, but floats past it. A reasonably straight branch would work!


No comments:

Post a Comment