Thursday 18 June 2020

First Sail in 2020

Today the wind was supposed to be light but increasing through the afternoon, but it didn't happen that way. It was the usual die-off for the run home; I rowed a couple of times between wind patches. 

But it was a beautiful day, and there was a nice breeze for awhile. I noticed that the sand dune hadn't appeared at the top of the mat this year, so chanced it. It was all that I could do to get the boat up over the hump when I came back in, though.

In the first photo below you can see a pile of logs on the left side, which were taken off the ramp area. They had been blown in by winter storms.


The parking lot was quite full, so I was glad that I was able to cycle there.

I need to report that the new oar collars work finest kind. This was the first time I used them since I installed them.

Here's a closer-up of the boat:

Kristl came and got a little run-down of the boat. It doesn't look like she'll be going out in it alone for a while, meanwhile there's a fair bit to learn just to get out of the compound. Hopefully, she got some video of the boat sailing. I'm looking forward to seeing, from outside of it, how the boat goes, check on the trim (like, am I sitting too far forward?) how the sail's setting, etc.

I'm thinking of replacing the yard and boom with round stock, like closet rod, as the tall rectangular shapes aren't working well. They twist, and then bend through their smaller dimension. They were basically thrown together with stuff I had, rather than going out and buying more stock. Now that I'm not working at the shop, I've got the time and energy to change things up a bit.



No comments:

Post a Comment