Friday 12 September 2014

Anchor roller, mast push, cover sewing

Built an anchor roller that may or may not work. The idea is to, as much as possible, eliminate lifting and awkward positions that might adversely affect the back. I'm going to have to tie a marker to the chain so I won't be bringing the anchor up against the chine.
It's a roller on a tray, basically.
It can be used on either side of the boat. The fir is re-purposed from something that was on the boat. I probably won't paint it.
There will be a lanyard through that hole, with a snap hook or something on its other end to secure it to something under the deck so it won't jump off and float away. The cross piece is a piece of ¾" copper pipe. I need to find a longer plastic tube for the roller itself. The copper pipe and plastic tube came with the boat, possibly were the previous anchor roller that was fastened to the gunnels; I forget.
 
* * *

That mast-raising piece I made awhile back was completely wrong. First of all, it was sized for the boom. And it was too weak. Here's the real thing. The handle is a piece of maple, therefore strong.
The holes were already in it, so I used two of them to pass bolts through, to attach the plywood.

* * *

I'm finally sewing the back triangle onto the boom tent. Building this tent has been an exercise in patience. Fortunately I haven't been in a rush, and the breaks have been useful for figuring how to go about it.
My tendency is to push through and just get it done, but this job required so much forethought as something I hadn't done before, that stopping at the end of each action allowed me to work through the next step in my mind before proceeding (put the outsides together before sewing, so the seam is on the inside!). I used Adobe Illustrator to find the middle of the triangle, which wasn't properly the centre, since the boom is bent. I absolutely had to finish the main tent piece and install it before I could figure out the back triangle and get the measurements more or less right. Fabric is difficult to work with because it's always changing its shape; not like a piece of wood, which only changes shape if I make it do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment