Sunday 19 July 2015

Day Two

From the log book:


The day started out a bit gloomy, with dark grey clouds scudding along the US side. I got up around 6:30. Had 2 eggs & one slice of bread with jam. I forgot the salt! Tasted okay anyway. Followed by coffee. I also forgot the canned milk! I have a bit of coffee mate, so I'm using that sparingly.
     Almost felt like staying put, but decided to check out the NW side of the eastern Chatham Island, to see what Wolferstan was talking about. I found it not such a good-looking anchorage to my eye; maybe for a big keel boat, but too open.
     The space between the east & west Chathams was interesting, full of seals hauled out on the rocks (why don't I think to take photos? too busy) but more of a wind funnel than Puget Cove.
     Decided to go around to the west side of the western Chatham to check it out. Nothing there worth mentioning. A dock for workers to tie to, for servicing the towers.
     Jim had mentioned that the west side of Sidney Island had a nice cove for anchoring, so I decided to go and check it out. I didn't think that Sidney Spit would afford much shelter from the wind in this SWerly.
     Before I left the Chathams I stopped in a little cove and put a reef in the main, then headed out under main alone. It was a long sail from the Chathams. The wind was quite strong, whitecaps all over, tidal rips here and there. The GPS said I was going over 5 knots at times.
     About three-quarters way to Sidney Island (red circle above) I ran over some kelp I hadn't spotted, which stressed the rudder and broke the downhaul line! Eek, no rudder suddenly! I let the sail go and we broadsided for awhile. No waves came aboard.
     Fortunately I was able to pull the pin that goes through the top pintle to keep the rudder from coming up, and got the rudder into the boat. Replaced the downhaul line with stronger stuff, put the rudder back on, and amazingly enough was able to replace the pin.
     After that I was knackered, and I remembered Phil saying that he stayed behind d'Arcy Island one night, so I went around to check it out. I thought I might stay the night, but it wasn't a good spot for that with this wind. (I think I got the wrong spot.) So I anchored and had lunch: cheese & jam on bread + coffee. Felt a little ill; whether from stress or sun, I'm not sure.
The cove is just beyond the anchored boat.
     Headed out along the eastern side of Sidney Island and found the cove that Jim had mentioned. It's perfect as far as being calm, but there's still lots of wind in gusts. Set the anchor around 3:30.
The cove is just west of bird poo (Mandarte) island.
Private wharf, Mandarte in the distance.

About the reefing problem


This is what I did to ensure the sail stays on the track when I reef: I added a piece of track over the stainless bar that holds the two sides of the tabernacle together. It means I have to take it off before I lower the mast, so I used only two screws. There's no sail pressure on it; it's just for holding the sliders when they're not being used. It means a little extra work when lowering the mast, but I think it's worth it.





No comments:

Post a Comment