Saturday 18 July 2015

First Voyage

From the log book:

First Day

Left Hidden Harbour at 2:25 pm. Wind moderate from SW. Sea lumpy. Tide falling.
Went outside Trial Island. Big waves! Very big waves, from wind and tide. Rounded the bottom of Discovery Island and came into calmer water, but really gusty winds off the island. I was spilling wind from the main, so I took it down and motor-sailed under jib & mizzen into the cove between Alpha/Griffin and Discovery.
Anchored in Puget Cove. Nice little cove but windy. My first anchoring! The boat is now sailing around, tethered to the anchor. The wind comes up through the slough to the south.
This pic was to reference my position to check for anchor drag at some later time.
Nice west coast forest & rock. No trespassing.
Looking East toward the U.S. Many freighters passed out there.
I used my lead line to test for depth and it's about 10', going up another 2' by 11 pm, then down 6' by 6:30 am.
Lead line with 1-lb fishing weight lead, marked in fathoms (to 4). Packs in bag.
Anchor & rode in green box. Anchor goes over the side, attaches to painter.
Supper was wieners & beans which I'd frozen in a ziploc. Then a piece of bread and honey for dessert. 
Used the Whisperlite with the new fuel pump. I like it better than the propane stove because it's not as scorching hot.
I took the sails off and furled the mizzen 'cause I don't want anything flapping around. 
Took the daggerboards out 'cause they were too noisy. 
The sleeping bag is excellent. 

Next time:
- Bring bird book, knot book, zoom camera. 
- Salt & pepper!
- Canned milk!
- Print out relevant parts of Murphys for easier access.

48.4394° N, 123.245° W

No comments:

Post a Comment