Saturday 14 May 2016

A Sail!

Thanks to my marine artifacts collector friend Andrew, I now have a sail and a mast!
The sail is a jib from a sloop. The sailcloth is a medium-light weight with a nice hand, possibly from being around so long. In the photo above, the luff is at the bottom, the foot at the left. As you can see, it's not exactly per plan, but I like it enough to go ahead with it. (It's red!) I'll bring the yard up so that the mitre seam ends at the throat, and bring the leech in at the peak (i.e., leave the leech as-is). The yard will be a bit shorter than the plan. This might bring the area down to forty square feet from 42.

The mast is a hollow carbon fibre sailboard mast. I'm shortening it, and adding glass in epoxy to critical areas.

Seagull dreams on sunny rock amid gentle wavelets in Victoria Harbour.


No comments:

Post a Comment