Friday 22 June 2018

Broke mast step

I took Golightly out for a sail on Tuesday last. The wind was a steady 15 knots, about, with nice gusts on flat water at Oak Bay. When it's from the West, it's offshore there.

The boat sailed really fast across the bay and then I tacked to sail back, and in the next nice gust, the mast step broke with a loud crack—I'll post photos of the pieces when I have them; in the excitement of it all, I've neglected to do any photo documentation. Right now I'm building a new mast step, so Golightly is on top of the car, going back and forth to the shop getting fixed, and Bobber Ann is relaxing in my living room:

On the work bench in the right foreground are some of the things I take sailing or paddling. The black plastic jar is the potty, which sits on top of the duct tape that I take with me in Bobber Ann. On the back right is sun screen. In front of those things is a sailor's knife in a sheath, which I haven't taken with me since Firefly. The small black fanny pack in front of that holds the nuts, bolts and tools to make Golightly into a trimaran. In front of that is a waterproof camera case.

The painting (not mine, but from a photo I took) is a view towards Cortes and Read Islands from Rebecca Spit on Quadra Island. It's an autumn evening around sundown, and the last boat of the day to Cortes is an invisible part of the story.

Post-script: I'm really enjoying the quality of the photos I'm getting with my 10.5" iPad Pro. And the vibrancy of the colours on the screen makes some of the photos look three-dimensional.

No comments:

Post a Comment