Saturday 24 November 2018

Fibreglass hatch cover mold, more board

I thought a curved-top hatch cover for the forward opening would be cool. With John's direction and assistance, I made a mold out of MDF for the sides and Masonite (hardboard) for the top—my first mold! Needs lots of work yet.

The thing looks way too large to me, but I decided I'd wait to see what actually comes out of the mold before I decide if I want to use it or not. Also, it's not as canted forward as I imagined it would be, but I may be able to change that after it's made.

 

More Board

The board is shaped now.

I used the table saw to cut the corners off, as shown in the previous post. I had to do the whole blade end-to-end, and add the handle later, because it had to pass through the saw from both ends.

The handle is now a nicer shape than what you see below. It will get blended in with the body of the board with filler before it all gets glassed.
The flat part near the top of the board is the part that turns against the pivot guard. Forward is to the left in this pic, as the board will be on the starboard side of the hull.


No comments:

Post a Comment