Friday 2 November 2018

Paint!

You know you're nearing the end of a boatbuilding project when the paint cans come out. In this case, I'm painting whatever I didn't put resin on that will be enclosed by the benches. I'm using up some old blue-grey Tremclad that I used for some of the interior of Firefly.

The photo below shows my attempt to add more gluing area to the inside of the corner where the faces and the tops of the benches meet. The wood I wanted to use wouldn't bend enough, so I just put pieces on. That corner will be glassed on the outside, so it'll be good and strong.
And here's the blue-grey paint, looking more blue here:
I put resin on part of that area already because I was using up resin that I'd kicked that was left over from something I was doing that I didn't want to go to waste.

The two photos below show the undersides of the bench seats with the blue-grey paint on them. The unpainted areas will be resin coated in order to bond better with the resin glue.


After I glass the inside bottoms of the fore and aft storage areas, they will be painted as well, including the undersides of the decks. I'll buy some white Tremclad for those areas because they're naturally dark areas and white helps. The glass on the bottoms is in recognition that they may be subjected to anchors and chain falling on them.

Paint! Finally!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment