Thursday 9 July 2020

Boom upgrade 2

Found some ½" by 1" half-round at the Finishing Store, so I bought their last two pieces. They're shorter than I wanted, and they're different lengths as well, but I decided to use them as they came. And, they're poplar, which I've never used before. I glued them on the sides of the boom and now the boom has the same (small) amount of bend horizontally and vertically, the point of the whole exercise. The yard will be next.

For gluing, I bought some System Three "General Purpose" epoxy, with their #1 fast catalyst, rather than W.E.S.T. system, because I didn't want to bother with the pumps for WEST. The smaller containers, which can be firmly capped, are easier to store in a small apartment, whereas the WEST pumps both take up space and inevitably drip. Working time of the General Purpose + #1 at room temperature is about 15 minutes. I used Cab-O-Sil (I think that's what it is, from the bin at the shop) to thicken it after wetting both surfaces. Now I'm varnishing with Minwax's clear gloss "Helmsman Spar Urethane", many thin coats.



No comments:

Post a Comment