Thursday 9 April 2015

Auto helm!

Yesterday was sunny, with a cool southerly onshore breeze of about 10 knots. We sailed close-hauled out toward Albert Head, where the wind picked up to about 15 knots. That was the first time I've gotten splashed by waves blown back from the bow. In gusts we were heading up to spill wind, and I had the mainsheet in my hand. We turned around and reached down towards Brotchie Ledge, reached back to McCaulay Point, then ran in to the harbour and doused sails in the lee of Berens Is. I never felt like the boat was out of control. The broad reach was a blast!

The Navionics app said we (Firefly and I) did 7.3 knots at one point on the reach toward Brotchie Ledge. Checking the Current Atlas, there would have been about a .5 to .75 knot current going with us, so we were going about 6.5 knots!

This video was shot on the outbound leg and shows Firefly sailing herself comfortably:

The music in the background of the video is Saint Germain's Tourist album playing on the iPad which is also recording my trip on the Navionics app.



No comments:

Post a Comment