Monday 25 May 2015

Rugged

I found this area rug in the garbage. It was quite new, and the backing is really grippy, so I kept it, thinking it might be useful on the boat. Today I cut it up and installed it. It happened to just cover the floor and seats.
It's polypropylene, so presumably won't take long to dry out if wet.
I really wanted something for the cockpit floorboard, since I didn't put any non-skid on it and it is slippery when wet. Safety first!—I'd hate to have an emergency because I slipped on my own floor! I was thinking more of some kind of thick rubber floor stuff like those interlocking squares you can get. I'll see how this stuff goes. If it's not right I'll just return it to the garbage. :-)
After I put the piece down on the floorboard, I sat on the bench and pushed sideways as hard as I could with my feet to try and make it move, and it wouldn't slip a millimeter, so presumably it'll do. It'll certainly be better on bare feet in the summer than non-skid grit!

Not sailing just now 'cause the rudder is off. The new blade is close to being finished and is looking really good. If I get the urge I can always re-install the old rudder setup and go sailing...


No comments:

Post a Comment