Monday 18 May 2015

Sunday sail

Had a great Sunday sail. Wind was a steady 10-13 knots from SSW. (You may want to turn your sound volume down for the video.)
In the video you may be able to see the telltales I put on the jib. They're good, but were getting caught by the jib downhaul line, so not always available. Notice also the Canadian ensign on the mizzen, eh?
The boat seems to sail better on her side like this. At least there's less slapping on the windward side; and the motion feels better. I prefer to steer from the leeward side, but sometimes in a gust I feel like I need to jump up to windward, and then when I do it over-compensates. Maybe I need to just stay put, ride it out, and see how far over she goes.

I got all the way over to Albert Head for the first time. It seemed like a long way, but then the return downwind trip was pretty short.
According to the track log, it's only about three miles across. Maybe when I've done it a few times it won't feel so far away.
 
The video above also shows the mainsheet cam cleat I was talking about in the last entry plus one, but here's a photo of it:
You can maybe see why it had to go where it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment