Friday 15 May 2015

Shaping the next rudder blade

This was the beginning of the shaping of the next rudder blade. Struck centre lines on leading and trailing edges of the blade, made a half pattern (white, below) to work from, and started in with my little block plane on the dining room table. 


The trailing edge is the biggest job, as more material needs to come off a larger area. I've now roughed out the leading edge and am on the second side of the trailing edge (not shown). When I've done that I'll go at the whole thing again and get it closer to the proper shape.

Almost forgot to say that when I was sailing yesterday, I noticed my rudder blade was coming loose! Yikes, that wasn't supposed to happen, 'cause I used a lock-nut. I was able to tighten it while drifting, but I'll have to make sure it doesn't happen again.


No comments:

Post a Comment