Tuesday 23 February 2016

Bilge panels

I had some trouble with the aft bulkhead. After some messing around trying to make it work, I realized I'd made a mistake in the numbers. Once that was corrected, things started to move again.

The boat is now upside-down on the saw horses, getting the bilge panels fitted:
 
Below: the bilge panels roughed out, with 4-oz glass on their inward sides:
 I decided I'm going to follow the Gougeon brothers' advice and wash all epoxied surfaces before bonding to them. (pail of water at top of picture above)

To make the curve of the bow, I used my 5-foot aluminum straightedge:
But what I noticed was that that little tongue of plywood ahead of the bulkhead dipped down along with the ruler, so I clamped it with a piece of hardwood. The bilge panels won't be putting the same downward pull on that piece, so it needs to stay as it is.

Below: with a 2' long piece of hardwood straightening out that tongue of ply:
I put the bilge panel against the ruler and drew the curve onto it, then had to shift the clamps and ruler to the other side of the centre line in order to do the other panel.

I wanted to put both bilge panels on at the same time so I wouldn't be distorting the hull. Below, they're temporarily taped on:
Next will be to straighten out that bow seam a little, tidy up the joints here and there, then I might hot-glue tack a few spots. I'll put that duck tape on all of those seams, flip her over, and glass tape the insides of the seams.

Just as a point of interest, here's John's shop phone:
It has so much resin and gel coat on it, yet it still works!





No comments:

Post a Comment