Friday 5 February 2016

Progress

The trimmed bottom panel. After end:
The idea is to wait until the panels are all together before glassing the outside of that joint.

Forward end:

The two ⅜" foam panels were laid on the shop floor, butted, and held in place by a screw at each outer corner. The first hunk of cloth I bought was cut too short. This is it, smoothed over the panels, before I took it back:
Thankfully, the error was corrected. Below is the new cloth, now with epoxy resin on it. I ran out of epoxy after I'd got just past the butt joint. I laid a smooth piece of metal on the joint, taped with packing tape to keep it from sticking, and weighted down somewhat to make sure the two pieces joined evenly as the resin cured. Note the smooth, shiny surface that the taped metal left:
The bottom part above was the first part I epoxied (yesterday), and I put too much resin on it. Today I used less (top part above) and it went on well, with a plastic spreader.

I cut the excess glass cloth off the edges of the part I did yesterday, which cured well in spite of the low temperature in the unheated space (probably between 6 and 9 degrees Celsius):
And started drawing on it!
The lines I drew above at the bottom were wrong. I hadn't measured the stations out correctly, so had to do it over.

The hull panels will be cut out of this material, and this side will be the inside, so I put four ounce cloth on it. The outside will get 6-oz cloth. I'm using West system 105 resin with 206 fast hardener.
Here's a screwy photo:
This is one of the screws that held the pieces in place while they were glassed. It's in a part of the panel that won't be used for the boat, and will be cut out to unscrew it from the floor. 



No comments:

Post a Comment