Wednesday 24 February 2016

Overturned

Before I taped the bilge panels in place, I stuck some little bits of foam on the sides between the molds and frames, to help the bilge panel match up to the side panel and not sag:
The bits were applied with hot glue. Although they're on pretty well, they come off easily enough.

The duck tape didn't work out: it came unstuck overnight, and left bits of sticky behind. So I'm trying some builder's tape. It seems to cling well, and doesn't seem to have as thick a layer of sticky on it:

Finally, right-way up and boaty-looking!

Below: One layer of 3" glass tape on the first two sections. (I wanted to get the bow cemented in place first, since it's the area of most stress.) I'll put a layer of 2" tape over the 3" that's there now. For the rest of it, I'll put the 2" tape on top of the 3" as I'm doing it. I had thought I'd do the 2" after the forms were taken out, to fill the gaps more evenly, but I'm realizing that it's too much work because it needs to be washed and sanded before another layer goes on.
It needs to be washed and sanded before being painted as well, so no point washing and sanding twice, if it can be avoided.



No comments:

Post a Comment