Wednesday 23 March 2016

Decking + new ama shape

The foredeck formation was perfect. Here's the foredeck going on top of epoxy goop on the top edge of the hull sides:
Trimmed:
Gradually filling the gap where the two sides meet at the apex.

I stuck some stringers on the edges of the aft deck flat, with a cross-beam at the aft end of the hatch opening (the end pieces are temporary):
A layer of glass went on the underside of the deck, then a layer of carbon fibre tape went down the middle of it:
The left side will be cut out and made into a hatch opening after the deck is installed. I need it there now to hold things in their proper places.
Here it is, installed:
The hardest part was reaching in to put a fillet with glass tape on the transom-deck joint. I could just poke my head through the widest part of that opening to see the transom. Since it was either my head or my arm that went in there, I had to do that joint blind. But looking in, I see that I did a stellar job. I wet the glass tape out in advance on the table, put the goop in with a round-end stick, and pushed the wet-out tape on, smoothing it out with my gloved fingers.

Next came the aft side decks:
The cockpit opening will be widened and rounded more, after the deck gets glassed.

The underside of the aft side decks got a layer of 4-oz glass cloth:

Ama, Ama—Who's got the Ama?

Here's the latest model of the ama shape. It's half-way between the first one and the second. The first had a straight bottom for four of its six feet, while the second was entirely curved with no straight on the bottom. This one has two feet of straight, with two feet of curve on each end:
I like that this one mimics the shape of the bow of the main hull. The extra flat on the bottom gives more buoyancy compared with the one that's all curved.




No comments:

Post a Comment