Wednesday 16 March 2016

Foredeck formed

Ran into a little problem when trying to bend the foredeck into a vee: in a few places, the edges of the panels were bonded where the resin had run between. I kinda hope that happens when I'm doing a butt joint, but I forgot to predict it for this. I ended up cutting the foam right beside the resin that joined the edges, making a new edge. The glass tape did not rip, as I had thought it might. In fact the whole thing was remarkably sturdy with just the one layer of 4-oz cloth on it; I could wave it around and the joint didn't move.

I put two lengths of 3" carbon fibre tape in the bottom of the vee. One was cut into two pieces lengthwise, one wider than the other, so there are three layers of the carbon tape in the centre of the vee. Also two layers of 2½" glass cloth, one under and one over. John says this boat is massively overbuilt (now he tells me!), reminding me that every little bit adds to the weight. It's true it's getting heavier, but I'm under no illusion that I'll be able to lift it with one hand—let alone spin it overhead. ;-) And I would like it to be sturdy rather than flimsy.

 I also put a single layer of carbon fibre tape athwartships right at the forward end of the cockpit, and another forward of where the forward bulkhead will be, to stiffen and strengthen the decks. After all, this boat is meant to sail, and the deck will be the upper support for the mast.
Tomorrow that stick comes out.


No comments:

Post a Comment