Friday, 11 July 2014

Some interior work, new tarp

A photo to show the bow cleat backing board and plate, as promised in an earlier post:

Starchy came over and helped me fasten some strengtheners on the inside of the cabin. This solved the problem of the delaminating ply on the starboard side.
 The port side was done as well, to keep things balanced.
We also put in backing pieces behind the main chain plates:

The tiller is coming along:

I took the following photo because I liked the port and starboard boats:
Little did I know that that would be the last time she sheltered under that tarp!
I started to make a sun shelter to paint under, and realized that: 1) It was going to be permanent; and 2) The old tarp was in the way and I had to let it go. It really was deteriorating: little green shards an eighth of an inch long were raining down constantly, making it unsuitable to paint under.

The new tarp was originally purchased to build the boom tent out of. The idea to rig it up as a sun shelter sort of happened organically as I put one foot in front of the other in the baking sun.
It's held up by the ½" PVC pipe that I bought for the boom tent (plus some more purchased for this tent), and it's strung out to various solid things in the yard, including the trailer for the Thunderbird.
The PVC pipe is connected together with elbows and tees, and the cross-pieces are tied to the mast.
There's room to walk under it, and it's almost high enough to comfortably paint the cabin top under.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great, and functional too. Lots of thought must have gone into it.