Monday 25 August 2014

Boom paint, making things

The boom got its second coat of paint today.
The photo is from yesterday, with the first coat on, in the shade on a hot late afternoon. I'm using the "sand" colour that I started painting the mast with. Hopefully I have enough of the buff paint left for the last coat tomorrow. The mast paint scheme was the same; I found the buff after not liking this sand colour on the mast after two coats.

I did end up taking the blocks off the boom, as you can see in the photo above. Now I need to make sure I can put them back together!
 
* * *

I made an extension tiller from the oak trim left over from doubling the cabin beams.
It reminds me of one I used in my youth. Was it on Firecracker?
It will be attached to the tiller with elastic cord. You'll see.
 
Not too much to do until Starchy shows up, so I followed John's suggestion and made a push stick to aid in lifting the mast:


The mast is raised while standing in the cockpit at the aft end of the cabin. The first few feet are the hardest on the lifting rig (A-frame), so I hand it up as far as I can reach to start. Now I'll be able to reach it up farther. This won't get painted unless and until it's proven its worth. Notice the apostrophes in the right places. Don't get me started!

Lots of rope work is happening. Tomorrow Starchy and I will figure out the cockpit cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment