Sunday 24 August 2014

More rigging

All sails set!



The luff of the mainsail is a bit long for the mast/gooseneck configuration, so I decided to tie the halyard to the peak in a way that takes up as little height as possible. I believe this will hold fine:
It's a simple overhand stopper knot on the end of the line and the same around the peak plate. The braided line binds well on itself. The gooseneck is fixed, so tightening with a down-haul is out.

I replaced the over-sized sheave for the jib halyard with a smaller store-bought one, which allows me to tighten the bolt that pins the bottom of the mast in the tabernacle:
The white plastic 'donut' is standing in for a sheave for the topping lift. It's attached to the mast with nylon webbing and an over-sized screw through holes that were melted into the webbing with a hot nail. The topping lift for the mizzen boom got a similar treatment, with the donut higher up the mast:
The topping lift on the mizzen will keep the boom from trailing in the water when the sail comes down. It also allows me to pull the mizzen boom right up against the mast to de-power it if I want, or to roll up the mizzen to tie it to the mast.
On the main boom in the photo above (note the square corners), the top line is the topping lift, the next down is the main outhaul, the lines underneath are the main sheet:
The dock line cleats are being used as fairleads for the mizzen sheets.

 Reefing

 
Checking out the reefing, I realized it needed jiffy reefing capability.
 Not a huge reef, but...

...tying up the reef lines while sitting on the cabin top in big seas will not be easy!

Again I used plastic donuts and nylon webbing for sheaves. Works fine in the yard; we'll see how it goes at sea.
 I bought the cam cleats at the mariner's flea market in the spring. The reefing out-haul donut is attached under the boom so it won't interfere with the boom tent.
Donut at the reef tack:

Painting & whipping centre:

Finally installed the ladder!
It doesn't interfere with the mizzen sheets, thankfully.
The little cleat beside the rudder gudgeon is a quick-release cleat for the rudder blade down-haul. When there's too much force on it, it snaps open, allowing the blade to float up. Works fine in testing.

As per Godfrey's instructions I've been rounding corners off. Well, it suits my aesthetic, certainly. Now I'm working on the boom. Its age and lack of care have meant that splinters are everywhere. Hopefully, sanding and painting will cure that.


Not finished! The boom had to go back on for the night before it was done. Hopefully today I'll finish sanding and get the first coat of paint on it. I'm debating whether to re-do the block attachment lines. It would be nice if I could round the corners of those holes...

No comments:

Post a Comment